Saturday, September 20, 2014

Change of Plans

So I was so excited to write my last blog entry I didn't mention that part of the protocol is a bone marrow biopsy after day 35 of treatment.  (If you are counting that makes 3 biopsies in about 40 days- ouch!)  I went back in on Monday the 15th for that procedure and then returned on Wednesday the 17th for the results.  We had two options - no cancer cells in the marrow or cancer cells still in the marrow.  Unfortunately we ended up with the second option...there are a small amount of cancer cells still in the marrow but not in the blood.  This postpones my transplant date (the goal is no cancer cells before transplant).  It also means that my stay at home is shorter than anticipated.  I will be readmitted to the hospital on Monday the 22nd for another round of chemo - similar to the first but more aggressive.  We just need to clean up those few remaining cells.  My stay this time will be similar to the first stay but hopefully a little shorter.  Although disappointed that I don't get to stay home longer, we are grateful that there are tests and doctors who can determine the best course of treatment and we feel confident in them.

Leukemia is about a 2 year journey with many ups and downs and stays in the hospital.  We are at the beginning of the journey so please remember that being admitted back into the hospital is something that will occur repeatedly and is just part of the path.  I wish I could be home longer but have been able to do all the things that I wanted and know that I need to go back and fight again.

Thank you to Wendi's Fight Club for all of your support.  I am often overwhelmed by your kindness and love toward me and my family and I wish that there was a way to have the words "Thank you" convey the amount of gratitude, love and humility I feel toward all of you.  The fight continues.
#wendiwillwin

No comments:

Post a Comment