Sunday, August 24, 2014

What is Leukemia and what can i DO?

Here is an internet definition of AML (acute myeloid leukemia):
Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) is cancer that starts inside bone marrow, the soft tissue inside bones that helps form blood cells. The cancer grows from cells that would normally turn into white blood cells. Acute means the disease develops quickly.

Once I understood how quickly this cancer grows I understood the doctors concern to get me to the hospital as quickly as possible so they could begin treatment.  As Loren and I talked with the doctor, she told us that the initial treatment for all AML patients is the same - aggressive chemotherapy. Because of the need for immediate care and that the chemo would kill all my blood cells (this is what we want to happen!) I would be staying in the hospital for 4 weeks at the minimum.  I would be starting chemo as soon as all the paperwork was done and then we would go from there.  Our heads are spinning and I am sure over the next few days we asked the same questions over and over again - the doctors and nurses never complained, they just patiently explained again.

Now we had serious logistic questions.  Loren obviously was not going to work that next week but he would have to go back - can't take off an entire month.  Emily was turning 16  that week so she would be able to drive but she had just made the Bonneville High School soccer team and she would not be available at all the times we would need her.  What about back to school shopping, grocery shopping, getting kids around, not to mention cooking dinner once Loren was back at work.

In addition, I was told that with all leukemia patients if I wanted to leave my room I would have to wear a gown, mask and gloves and was limited to the east half of the 8th floor.  I wasn't leaving the hospital any time soon!

Here is a pic of what I look like when I am out of my room.





We would have to address the logistic questions later... for right now I was told I could control 3 things:  my attitude, my activity level and my nutrition.  Those of you who know me well know that if I am given something that I can do about my situation then I will do it.  These three things have become a focus for me and a piece of sanity to know that I do have control over a few things.

No comments:

Post a Comment