Sunday, August 24, 2014

The Day After

Thank heavens for sleeping pills!!! There would have been no sleep for me Saturday night except for that!  Sunday morning began with more tests, at this point I had an ultrasound, MRI, CT Scan, and x-ray.  Sunday brought the insertion of a central line in my chest (think not so cool Ironman) and my introduction to my constant companion ever since.  Our girls have named him Skinny Joe, the Pirate, since he has a bunch of hooks!

Of course, we had to add the pirate hat since we believe you might as well have fun wherever you are at!
I am grateful for a central line that allows medications and chemo to be put into my body as well as blood drawn out.  I don't feel any of these things happening and I don't have to be stuck by any needles!  However, showering with a tube out of my chest is a new experience but why not learn new things!

Our niece was speaking in church on Sunday after her mission so Loren and the girls went to Sandy to hear her speak.  That was a tender mercy where they could attend church with family.  Loren left Emily, Callie and Elizabeth with Grandma and Grandpa at the luncheon to come to the hospital.  We had a meeting set up with the doctor to hear the final results of all the tests.  Dr. Motyckova (yes, I do know how to pronounce it) came in and told us that the tests came back.  The diagnosis was acute myeloid leukemia.  Another wave of disbelief and grief came over me and I was barely able to form a coherent thought. Dr. Motyckova waited patiently and compassionately for us to absorb the news.  Once the original wave of shock was done we were able to talk about exactly what those three words mean and what the next steps would be.  At this  point we both switched into "action" mode.  What can we "do" next?  And then, how quickly can we get this done. If fighting leukemia is what we have to do then let's get busy and do it so we can be done!  

No comments:

Post a Comment