Tuesday, August 19, 2014

More birthday craziness

On August 9th Loren and I walked into LDS Hospital and took the elevator to the 8th floor.  We found the signs that directed us to the east end and as we walked we saw more signs that said things like "leukemia" and "bone marrow transplant".  The anxiety level continued to build.  We found the nurses station and sure enough they were ready for us.  We were immediately taken to room East 848 (at this point I really didn't comprehend that this was going to be my home for the next 4-6 weeks).  Shortly after arriving in the room two doctors came to speak with us.  (I was amazed that 2 doctors were here on a Saturday afternoon!)  Dr. Finn Petersen and Dr. Gabi Motyckova sat down and were very honest with us.  They discussed my high white blood cell count (28k on Thursday and 31k on Friday).  We were informed that normal counts are betweek 4k and 10k.  In addition, when they looked at the cells through the microscope, they were "concerning" but more tests had to be run.  At this point, Dr. Petersen did say that they suspected leukemia but more tests were needed.  I hung on to the "more tests were needed" words and thought for sure the tests would show everything to be okay.
At this point I simply wanted all the tests done yesterday!  So, they called in people and tests began.  Blood tests, bone marrow biopsy (not too bad when done at LDS hospital by Ali), MRI, CT scan and I think maybe an x-ray but that could have been the next day.  We were grateful that they were moving so quickly. At times, we had several people in our room and others just waiting to come in and do somemore tests.
After a few hours the craziness died down to a dull roar and we waited.
I am sure at some point that night Loren got us something to eat but I don't remember at all.  After dinner my sisters and their families along with my kids came down and we had a mini birthday party with cupcakes and donuts.  I love my family and their ability to have fun together regardless of location!



1 comment: