Sunday, November 2, 2014

A Return to Church

As most of you know, I and my family are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  In our church we do not have any paid clergy and all of us at different times are asked to serve in different positions so that our congregation is taken care of and services happen each week.  For 1 1/2 years before my diagnosis I had been asked to serve as the president of the Relief Society (our congregation's part of a world-wide women's organization).  As a result of this responsibility I grew to love and care deeply for the women in our congregation.  I knew some of their struggles and mostly of their faith and love for their families and for Jesus Christ.  

With a diagnosis of leukemia there is no time to let your mind wrap around what this means to your family or your life.  There is not time to consider what type of treatment to have or to make arrangements for the other obligations in your life.  There isn't time to even prepare your family.  AML is so aggressive that everything is fast tracked.  I was diagnosed and admitted to the hospital on Saturday and chemo started on Monday.  

Because of these circumstances and the following isolation to protect from getting germs, I was unable to talk with the women I served with, I was just gone.  I was unable to return to any church activity, even attending our sacrament meeting for several months.  I was able to have the sacrament administered to me in the hospital and at home so I felt as if my relationship with Jesus Christ was still growing, but I missed attending my meetings on Sunday and I knew it was impossible for a while.  My activity within my congregation is a central part of my life and service to others.  To have this along with everything else I was involved with removed with no warning was difficult and the resulting isolation has been a challenge.  Thankfully I have had wonderful friends along the way who have recognized this challenge and helped me feel connected to a larger community.

Then, last Sunday, October 26, we decided to launch Operation Get Mom to Church.  My family saved the last row in the chapel and some friends sat in front of us so I would have a barrier around me to protect from germs.  My plan was to arrive during the opening hymn and leave during the closing hymn - again to protect from germs.  (If I could I would stay and give everyone a huge hug!)  So, I put on my dress and a scarf and drove over to church.  Emily was waiting for me to show me where they were sitting.  As I walked into the chapel with everyone singing I was overcome with a feeling of coming home.  The tears came without warning and with no stopping.  I knew I was in a room where people lived the gospel of Jesus Christ - they cared for and loved their neighbor as themselves.  They, along with all of you, had done this for me and my family.  I am so grateful to be a part of so many communities that are filled with people who are so amazing and selfless and who live as Christ would have them live.  God was able to give me a glimpse of heaven that day - to be surrounded by people who love you. Thank you for loving me and my family - heaven is complete when everyone I love is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment